“It can happen in the middle of the night or in broad daylight, while your crew eats lunch at a fast food restaurant. Whether it is a small string trimmer or a $20,000 commercial mower, landscape equipment and vehicles are prime targets for criminals.” For landscape contractors, simple theft preventative measures can be a career-saving move. According to the National Home Builders Association, equipment theft loss is an estimated $1 billion annually.
Did you know a Skidsteer Loader is the #1 stolen machine in the world? Tools like skid loaders, trailers and of course mowers are just a few of the essentials needed for a thriving landscape business. Tow behind equipment, like trailers, are often the most commonly stolen item. Rarely do onlookers question a truck backing up and hitching onto a trailer?
Don’t allow yourself to be a victim of a crime with low recovery rates! Take a few steps to prevent theft and lower your chances of becoming an “easy target”.
- Register your equipment – NER
- Mark your equipment with your branding by engraving a name or logo that’s difficult to remove, adding distinct colors and logo imagery in multiple locations on the equipment, all making it obvious if a thief covers existing marks.
- When done for the day, remove the keys and secure your equipment with theft prevention locks (like the ones we offer)
- Keep a well-documented inventory list of all your equipment, including up to date photos for better identification.
- Don’t leave your equipment unattended to. Take it with you at the end of the day, store it in a secure storage location with video monitoring.